Moving from UK to Vienna

Moving from UK to Vienna

Q&A about daily life in Vienna
Zoran EUROPEAN_UNION

Moving from UK to Vienna

Post by Zoran »

I am a UK citizen planning to semi-retire in Vienna before the end of the Brexit transitional period.

I wonder if anyone has advice and information about financial planning related to the move, especially accountancy, tax, banking, and pension planning and investments? I would also be grateful if you can recommend accountants and financial advisers with expertise in the UK-Austria interface.

Thanks,
Zoran

morgenhund EUROPEAN_UNION
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Re: Moving from UK to Vienna

Post by morgenhund »

Would suggest you get in touch with deloitte who run a lot of the kind of tax seminars that you are likely to require. They might be being run online. Also the expat center of the Vienna Business Agency are likely to have the best contacts.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund »

Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
Zoran EUROPEAN_UNION

Post by Zoran »

Thanks Morgen, I will look up these companies.
I am also hoping that some British expats here will be able to share their experience and have personal recommendations.
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund »

Zoran - I would also suggest if you are on facebook to join the group British in Austria

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BritishAustria/
Zoran EUROPEAN_UNION

Post by Zoran »

I will finally make the move in the next few weeks. I will drive from Scotland across with all my belongings. That will take several days. Any tips on finding accommodation? First short term (a few weeks) then medium term (around six months), during which time I intend to buy a flat in Vienna. I have looked at Willhaben and others, and Jobwohnen used to have good information but they seem to be winding down.

Zoran
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund »

Zoran wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:06 pm
I will finally make the move in the next few weeks. I will drive from Scotland across with all my belongings. That will take several days. Any tips on finding accommodation? First short term (a few weeks) then medium term (around six months), during which time I intend to buy a flat in Vienna. I have looked at Willhaben and others, and Jobwohnen used to have good information but they seem to be winding down.

Zoran
Willhaben and derstandard.at seem to be the largest sites in terms of listings - there are a lot of Privat an Privat groups on Facebook too.
cafetime Greece

Post by cafetime »

Why not stay in Scotland, the regulation here can drive you batty.
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund »

cafetime wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:40 pm
Go into something with a positive mindset... Is anywhere perfect?!?
Zoran EUROPEAN_UNION

Post by Zoran »

cafetime wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:40 pm
What are the regulations that I need to worry about? I'm curious how they compare with regulations in the UK, or lack of them in particular cases.
The reasons for deciding to leave the UK at this stage in my life, and for choosing Vienna as my new home, are complex and I am happy to share them if it helps others.
I had a meeting with Ute at the Expat Dept of the Wirtschaftsagentur and she was extememly helpful. Thanks for that tip morgenhund.
I am now devoting lots of my time to mastering the German language and searching for an apartment to buy for myself to live in and also as an investment for old age.
I also need to work out what to do with the car - I would like to be able to drive it here for trips to the countryside and nearby cities/countries.

Zoran