Alice in Wonderland

Tell us about that book you just finished or movie you just saw.
Pirate_Kate
GrandMaster
GrandMaster

Alice in Wonderland

Post by Pirate_Kate »

Okay, here are my thoughts on the new Alice in Wonderland film. I will try to avoid any spoilers for those of you who have not seen it yet.

As many of my friends know, I loved the Lewis Carrol books. I even used "Through the Looking Glass" as the basis for an end of term paper in College. I also love Tim Burton Films and Johnny Depp. So as you can imagine I was very excited about this film and overall I found the film very enjoyable. This was largely because the characters were wonderful (I want a blue stripped Cheshire Cat!) and well portrayed and the look of it all was amazing!

Character-wise, Johnny Depp was predictably awesome as the very mad Mad Hatter and Helena Bonham Carter was fantastic as the large headed Red Queen. One of the big surprises for me was how great Anne Hathaway was as the too too good White Queen. The CGI characters were also great, especially the Cheshire Cat, the March Hare and the Tweedles.

In regards to the story, I liked that Burton did not go with the original story, but created a "sequel" with the Wonderland/Looking Glass characters. For the most part the story was good, though at times it seemed a bit rushed and I was not crazy about the battle at the end. It seemed a bit of a formulaic plot in that way. At the same time there were many wonderful touches--like a fantastic mad tea party that I adored.

As for the 3D, I am not sure if it really worked. For me it was more of a distraction and did not add much to the film (as it did with Avatar). This may be because they filmed it in 2D and then added the 3D later so it did not seem as natural and fluid as it did in Avatar.

All in all I really did enjoy it and would recommend that people see it. I actually really want to go and see it again. I would also love to hear other peoples comments once they have seen it.
Last edited by Pirate_Kate on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
manu
Expert
Expert

Alice in Wonderland

Post by manu »

I go next monday and i am really really excited about it. I didn't really get that he wasn't faithful to the books - I was a bit surprised that Alice is so old. But I don't mind, and I am really looking forward to it!
But then he is from the Latin race and they are passionate about everything... The only thing an Englishman gets passionate about is the merits of his ale or a pair of fighting cocks. From "Company of Liars"
Pirate_Kate
GrandMaster
GrandMaster

Alice in Wonderland

Post by Pirate_Kate »

Its sort of Alice in Wonderland -- the sequel. It often refers to events in the original books.
...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
_kat_ Russia
Former Mod/Admin
Former Mod/Admin

Alice in Wonderland

Post by _kat_ »

hmm. good movie - don't get me wrong, a movie worth watching. BUT i was expecting more - more from the story, more from the effects.. more from the characters. its just all the hype surrounding it - the movie does not live up to it.
saying that, depp was great, most of the CGI characters as u say were brilliant as well. I think Alice just was not my type of Alice and the story was lacking an original twist or whatever - it was a bit too predictable, the usual movie story, for me. The main let down was the ending - too mainstream, no final scene to speak of. As I said I expected more from the movie (waiting for it for couple of years or so) and it turned out to be nothing out of the ordinary
When in charge ponder. When in trouble delegate. When in doubt mumble. When asked to clarify, say "Trust me".
Dagnamski
Professional
Professional

Re: Alice in Wonderland

Post by Dagnamski »

It's been slammed by critics!
itoh Belgium
VIP
VIP

Alice in Wonderland

Post by itoh »

We went to see it last night and I agree with Kat. I liked the movie, but I was expecting more. It was entertaining, but nothing special.
I also agree with the fact that the 3D does not add any extra value to this movie.
But I did love Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, there have just become part of a Tim Burton movie, and they were awesome, also in this movie.
Parsifal
Expert
Expert

Alice in Wonderland

Post by Parsifal »

Aside: I wonder if Johnny Depp is aware of what his name means auf Deutsch...
Ozmatt
Professional
Professional

Post by Ozmatt »

Parsifal wrote:Aside: I wonder if Johnny Depp is aware of what his name means auf Deutsch...
Yes, he is, and is asked that question in every european interview.
Parsifal
Expert
Expert

Post by Parsifal »

Ozmatt wrote:Yes, he is, and is asked that question in every european interview.
I should have guessed that it might be old hat; please forgive me, but European interviews with Johnny Depp haven't featured on my reading list so far and I doubt they ever will...
Bramish ENGLAND
Master
Master

Alice in Wonderland

Post by Bramish »

I just saw this. I went into it trying to be as open-minded as possible - I like the look of Tim Burton films as a rule, but am getting tired of him casting Johnny Depp as a loveable outcast, Helena Bonham-Carter as a slightly odd female lead, and having Danny Elfman provide the same generic Elfman score. I didn't read any reviews, and other than knowing the Burton formula and the Alice story, I didn't know what to expect, but I admit I did not hold high hopes for it.

But I really enjoyed it. I wish it hadn't been 3d - I kept wanting to just take off the glasses and enjoy it without that pretty dire distraction, and I really hope 3d doesn't become a trend unless it's absolutely necessary. I enjoyed all the characters pretty much, particularly The Red Queen and George McFly (Crispin Glover is such an under-rated actor). I liked a lot of the animal characters too, especially the monkeys. It was nice to see Darwin from The Fall (ace film by the way) although his character was an utter cock (intentionally I know).

I enjoyed it up until the final battle scene. Alice in armour just seemed a little off, and there was too much White Queen (I hated her character and all her arm waving - Anne Hathaway did a good job, it was just a bad role to play). And that dance scene at the end was completely unecessary (although I saw it coming).

That was an awfully verbose review wasn't it?
Ozmatt
Professional
Professional

Alice in Wonderland

Post by Ozmatt »

I also thought the 3d aspect was not needed. I think by using 3d they make people go to the cinema rather than watching it via the internet. Seems it could become common practice.
loulou Great Britain
Luminary
Luminary

Post by loulou »

I enjoyed it because I like Tim Burton's style and there were lots of good English actors in it, but I too do not like this 3D trend - it is not necessary.

And I would have preferred it if the film had been closer to the book. But then I tend to be a traditionalist.
morgenhund EUROPEAN_UNION
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Post by morgenhund »

Emilemit wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:03 pm
Hi everyone

I really need some help

I am creating an Alice in Wonderland themed field hockey team for a tournament, but we cannot think of an Alice in Wonderland themed team name

Please help

So far we have had:

The Queens of Hearts
The Mad Hatters really over used

Thank you
Cheshire Cats?
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.