moving to vienna! with newbie Questions

Come in get yourself a Beer, and tell us about yourself
dpm314

Post by dpm314 »

Hello Expats !

Pardon a long post from a total newbie, but this seems like the place for it!

I am moving to Vienna to do a 6 month student internship on Sept 1st. Wohoo! But I'm also quite nervous about this all, never having moved to another country, and being all on my own. My German is rough but not hopeless.

I have a few technical questions though. First, what do you recommend is the easiest way to get from the Airport to my apartment 141 Neustiftgasse 1070? The apartment management recommended Schnellbahn S7 bis CAT/Wien-Mitte, switch to U3 bis Volkstheater, then Bus 48A. I'm going to be tired and overwhelmed (also carrying 3 large suitcases - I dunno if that is legal on the bus), so is this hard to do? Or is a Taxi perhaps a better option, and how exactly do you do that from the airport? and what will that cost?

Next, I will immediately need to go to a department-store type place to buy bed sheets, and standard new apartment stuff like cooking equipment, and a grocery store. (ie what is the equivalent to a place like walmart, if such a terrible but useful thing exists in Vienna?)

I've heard the best deal for transportation is to buy a month-long all you can use ticket for something like 50Euro. Where can one get that?

enough with questions. I really would appreciate any help on this stuff though.

Anway, I want to introduce myself to this wonderful community. I am looking to meet people of all sorts, and am ALWAYS up for meeting someone for a casual meal or drink. I am also an active classical musician (French Horn/Cor/WaldHorn) and would love to find others to play with, community or professional groups to play with, or even just others interested in going to concerts at the Musikverein or Oper. Just let me know.

I'm a slightly nerdy outgoing 22 year young male American from rochester and wisconsin, studying physics, computers and music.

Thanks and hope to meet some of you soon. I see there is an even on Sept 5th, I'll be there if welcome.

David

catweasel ENGLAND
Professional
Professional

Post by catweasel »

re: taxi...if you get a taxi from the rank outside arrivals you'll pay about 35 euro...ish...

if you pre-book +43 1 601 60 or +43 1 44 444 you may save about 5 ish euro....ish...

Shopping wise i'd head for Mariahillfffffferstrassssssse (it's probably spelled a tad differently in German),..that's like the main shopping "road" and even has it's own metro stop thingie.

and finally, public transport...you can buy a single trip, return trip, weekly ticket or monthly ticket. Most metro stations have automated machines which you "tell" to speak English. They take cash or credit cards.

Mine won't be the most helpful answer but my intentions are amazing!!
Ich schaue stattlich, ich schaue intelligent, ich bin ein gehendes Kunstwerk!
snoop_dogette
Luminary
Luminary
Location: Tampa, FL...where it's probably warmer than wherever you are...

Post by snoop_dogette »

Yes, I would recommend going to Mariahilfestrasse for everything you need in life. Plus, if you map it from your apartment, you'll see that your location is super-close.

So there are two trains from the airport to Vienna: the CAT (City/Airport Train) and the S7 (Schnellbahn, or commuter train). Both are quite easy to navigate. You catch them from the same place in the airport (and they are virtually impossible to miss). What you could do if you were seeking to save money on the airport - city trip is take one in (either one will take you to Wien Mitte), then get a cab from there. However, obviously it would be easier to just take a cab from the airport.

Also, many people in Vienna speak English, so you should be fine in case you can't think of a term. The best way to improve your German is to use it, but I find when I am tired after a trans-Atlantic, sometimes I can't think that quickly!
'This has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime.' Bob Barker, The Price Is Right.
snoop_dogette
Luminary
Luminary
Location: Tampa, FL...where it's probably warmer than wherever you are...

Post by snoop_dogette »

Oh, and I would check the Wiener Linien site (www.wienerlinien.at) for more information about public transportation passes. For instance, your pass will not be for one month, it will be for the month of September, which is to say that if you are not arriving on the 1st, it sometimes makes more sense to do it in other increments. Same with the weeks (pretty sure they start on Mondays, but I could be wrong). As Catweasel mentioned, you can buy the passes from the automated machines at any subway stop and you can use them in English or German.
'This has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime.' Bob Barker, The Price Is Right.
Macrogue Great Britain
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Macrogue »

Next, I will immediately need to go to a department-store type place to buy bed sheets, and standard new apartment stuff like cooking equipment, and a grocery store. (ie what is the equivalent to a place like walmart, if such a terrible but useful thing exists in Vienna?)
There's not really a Walmart equivalent as such, but you can find individual shops to get what you want. If you want stuff that you are going to leave / sell when you leave, I'd recommend IKEA. You can get everything you need there for kitchen / bed. There are 2 here, just outside of the Vienna border, so not ideal if you must buy immediately on arrival (I'm assuming you will be jetlagged and all).

On the Mariahilfestrasse, there is a linen store, I think called Ritter, that you can buy linen and duvets etc. On the same street is Slama. Downstairs in there they do kitchenware for various prices, and if you need things straight away you can get basics there.

Good luck!
No Day but Today
_kat_ Russia
Former Mod/Admin
Former Mod/Admin

Post by _kat_ »

I think Leiner would be your best choice for all the living-related stuff - its a large-ish store in Mariahilfe that sells furniture and all things useful in one's apartment :-)
When in charge ponder. When in trouble delegate. When in doubt mumble. When asked to clarify, say "Trust me".
catweasel ENGLAND
Professional
Professional

Post by catweasel »

I'd do Ikea over Leiner, cheaper, more disposable, cheaper.

there's a shuttle bus to one of the Ikea's from the Opera just don't buy more than you can carry on afrorementioned bus.

When I got here, sleeping bags and an airmatress saw me through. It took me..ummm...2 months I think, to get my bed, so be prepared for a wait if you buy some new stuff. Maybe you want to check the "for sale" section on this site?
Ich schaue stattlich, ich schaue intelligent, ich bin ein gehendes Kunstwerk!
Macrogue Great Britain
Luminary
Luminary

Re: moving to vienna! with newbie Questions

Post by Macrogue »

_kat_ wrote:I think Leiner would be your best choice for all the living-related stuff - its a large-ish store in Mariahilfe that sells furniture and all things useful in one's apartment :-)
Doh! I'd forgotten about Leiner!!
No Day but Today
Julz

Post by Julz »

I would recommend the taxi booking service from the airport. For 29 euro they are there meeting you and will take you to the door. I'm also in Neustiftgasse but at 66. I can walk to Mariahilfestrasse or take a bus (about 2 stops). There is a shopping complex that has a fairly large kitchenware type store whose name I can't recall but it is close to the intersection of neubaugasse.

http://www.airportdriver.at the people at my apartment booked it for me but is easy enough to arrange. Good luck.
Pirate_Kate
GrandMaster
GrandMaster

Post by Pirate_Kate »

I think you are refering to the Gerngross.

I would recommend Leiner as well if you need things quickly. They have bedding, kitchen stuff etc. Maybe get the bare minimum there and then head out to Ikea when you are rested?

As for grocery shopping there should be a Billa, Spar, Hofer or Zielpunkt near your house. They tend to be small compared to North American standars, but should have everyhting you need. There is also a Merkur located in the bottom floor of the Gerngross (U-bahn stop Neubaugasse) which is larger then most of the nerighbourhood stores.

I hope that helps! Vienna is a very easy city to navigate and get around in. I hope you enjoy your time here.
...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
dpm314

Post by dpm314 »

thank you all SO much for tons of info. Btw, all I meant by 'immediately' is 'sometime soon' as in a few days. My apartment is furnished, in that there is furniture in it, but nothing else. I'll be coming in from a short stay in Germany too so not jet lagged hopefully...

How late are these stores open, roughly? Thanks again so much for those who've replied so far this already is a relief.

David
morgenhund EUROPEAN_UNION
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Post by morgenhund »

Most shops at open until 18:00 or 18:30 - possibly longer on Thursdays - and there is no Sunday opening
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
katrine12 Australia

Post by katrine12 »

hi, why you have to go to the store, if you have internet you can buy bed sheets or other stuff online with great quality.