Stadtoriginal - the heroes and anti-heroes of Vienna

Let site users know about your latest blog posts
curmudgeon
VIP
VIP

Stadtoriginal - the heroes and anti-heroes of Vienna

Post by curmudgeon »

With 2018 now on us and most people back at work, it seems fitting for Karl-Heinz Grasser to rub shoulders with Michael Häupl, as well as to lament the fate of Waluliso or Hermes Phettberg. Last but not least, I dwell on the flirtation with celebrity of the Fensterbär.

https://curmudgeoninthecottage.blogspot ... -anti.html

And for those of you who hit the slopes, went to super duper exclusive NYE parties, here's a précis of an Austrian party. It was great fun.

https://curmudgeoninthecottage.blogspot ... ujahr.html

Robert Barratt
Expert
Expert

Re: Stadtoriginal - the heroes and anti-heroes of Vienna

Post by Robert Barratt »

Great research. Great characters. Great post.
morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Post by morgenhund »

Part of Vienna's subculture has always been its characters. There used to be a guy in pirate get up with a parrot pecking at and crapping on his shoulder in the 7th who used to wander down Kaiserstrasse. Now presumably long-gone. The cricket club had a meeting spot in Floridsdorf by a Würstelstand, and were always greeted by a local known as "Grammelschmalz man" as we met there at 9:30am. In the winter after one season, he'd clearly finally overclogged his arteries, and as we convened ahead of our first match of the season, we spied the newly mounted plaque with his name on it.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
curmudgeon
VIP
VIP

Post by curmudgeon »

I actually think that a Viennese version of the Fast Show might have worked. There used to be two men at the Schnellbahn station close to one of my previous employers who seemed to have hacking coughs. They were known as "Rotz und Rotz" among my colleagues. I believe that they have probably since coughed their pickled last breath.