New Years Eve in Vienna

A lot of people also ask about information for visiting Vienna - from a stopover to a vacation.
Anderton

New Years Eve in Vienna

Post by Anderton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi There,

We are 4 x Australians working in Europe and travelling to Vienna for New Years 2011/12. We are looking for some local advice on where to go for 30 somethings to have an awesome night out to see in the New Year. If anyone has any suggestions, other than just partying on the main drag or going to the opera, that would be great. In Australia we know that some of the best nights out are in the pockets that only the locals know! Any help with package deals, restaurants or bars not to miss is hugely appreciated!

Cheers,
Louise, Steve, Belinda and Luke.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Years Eve in Vienna

Post by Tatt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Hello Louise,

Lots of things spring to mind, but generally you're going to have a great time on New Year's Eve in Vienna (or 'Silvester' as they call it in German).

You could book tickets for an all-in place like Passage, or Palmenhaus (a large greenhouse - cafe right in the city) I think they usually have a good crack - but then you're in there for the whole night.

I can recommend one of the main firework places in the city; Heldenplatz, Rathaus, Schwedenplatz(?); at midnight they will unleash a spectacular display and everyone dances the Vienna Walz - seriously!

It depend a little on where you're staying as well; there are lots of private firework parties in the Prater park before midnight so it is nice to go there with a bottle or two and smell the sulphur before going into town properly.

Vienna is a city of bars rather than clubs; you can happily hop along and almost everywhere will be open the whole night long.

Here are several of my favourites;

Before midnight:
Downstairs, 6th district
The Highlander (on Sobieskiplatz), 9th district
Pappala Pub, 9th district Gürtel
Freiraum, 6th district
The Lizard, 7th district
Cafe Rocus, 3rd district
Roobar (if you want to meet Aussies), 1st district
Museums Quartier (Die Halle or Cafe Leopold), 6th district
Kunsthalle, 4th district

After midnight:
Kruger's Lounge, 1st district
Tanzcafe Jenseits, 6th district
Chealsea Nightclub, 7th district Gürtel
Donau Underground Club, 7th district
Alcazar Cocktail bar, 1st district Karlsplatz

You can find any of these places on Google Maps of the city, Vienna is pretty small and the underground will be running all night (but generally taxies are not difficult to flag down or expensive either).

I am sure people can recommend lots of other places... it should not be difficult to build a route plan but sticking to it may not be possible :-)

Anderton

Post by Anderton » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 am

Mate, awesome information!! Thankyou so much for taking the time to write that response, we really appreciate it. Looks like we are going to have lots of options - bars are what we are looking for so your recommendations are on the money. Thanks Tatt.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:33 am

Hey, I will periodically update this with more information as I think of it; since you said you're in your 30's I would probably cross Chelsea off the list - you might find that place a bit young.

If you're here a day or two before Silvester then I would suggest swing past a few of the Aussie bars (Roobar, Crossfields, Down Under or Billa Bong) and ask your compatriots what they like about Vienna NYE.

Also where ever you are at midnight they will likely have a live band and everyone will grab a partner and dance the Vienna Walz, so I honestly recommend you practice it! There is nothing worse in this city than someone who cannot even dance, and it is a pretty basic three-step.

Also in the 1st district you may have to book or buy tickets for some places in advance.

Bramish England
Master
Master

Post by Bramish » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:39 am

I'm in my 30s and I enjoy Chelsea from time to time!

chefsmith Ireland
Master
Master

Post by chefsmith » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 am

Fletch the letch ;-)

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Bramish wrote:I'm in my 30s and I enjoy Chelsea from time to time!
Granted; I do as well on occasion but I'm not sure it's a good recommendation for two couples in their 30's - unless they like heaving drinking teenagers... hmm, they are Aussies' I suppose.

Now, around the Bermuda Triangle there are some fascinating anthropological experiences to be had.

Dagnamski
Professional
Professional

Post by Dagnamski » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 pm

I wouldn't be unfair about Chelsea, it depends which night you go and which crowd it draws and usually it draws a very big crowd. I know a gazillion 30+ year olds who go there regularly. Of course teeny discos are on too sometimes but hey, everyone gotta get old sometimes. It's not like being a leppa. :lol:

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:46 am

Alright, let's not get too hung up on Chelsea Club; it's not bad and there are different crowds for different nights. I probably still wouldn't put it on my list for NYE in Vienna...

However I would add;

Before or after midnight:
Bermuda Bräu, 1st district Schwedenplatz
Charlie P's Irish Pub, 9th district

After midnight:
Vienna Gnadenlos club, 1st district Schwedenplatz
Fledermaus Rock Club, 1st district Graben

Dafitz

Post by Dafitz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi all,

Are these bars still the places to be this year for NYE? I am planning a trip with a few friends - all 24-28 y/o females and whilst we will spend a lot of time in the street party I imagine that we will be looking for somewhere to hang out indoors at some point...

Let me know!

RobertMinto

Post by RobertMinto » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah from above almost Bars I have visited ,and had an amazing time with friends.

Was This Topic Useful?