Creche/Nursery/Montessori recommended?

Forum about family life in Vienna - bringing up toddlers, children, teens, associated bureaucracy...
KathG

Post by KathG » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:10 am

Hi everyone,
my name is Kat and I am originally from Vienna but have lived abroad since 2002. Hubby and I are thinking of returning to Vienna before next summer. (Its either Vienna or Australia :-))

My son (3) goes to a Montessori playschool here in Dublin and I am looking into finding a kindergarten for him and my daughter who will be 1 in Jan.

Can you recommend any nurseries or daycare institutes where they (also) speak English (don't want my kids to loose their English) and where they learn stuff as well and not only play (as school starts at 4 here in Ireland, my son already learns the alphabet enz and I would find it a shame if that wasn't stimulated any more).

Looking for something in the inner districts (1-9), not sure where we'll live yet.

I read on the Kindercompany website that they are fully booked till end of 2010. Is this a general issue?

I also wondered if you know whether its true that you have to sign up in Jan and you can only start Kindergarten in Sept.

Would also love to meet up for playdates once we are there.

Will be in vienna for 3 weeks over Christmas...

Many thanks for your help and sorry about the long post :-)
Kat

Tom
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Creche/Nursery/Montessori recommended?

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Ah, don't put him in Montessori school.

Let him integrate and be challenged to get good grades later on (and paint with the colour black before he is 10, and be able to read before he is 8).

Even if you are a rich hippy, don't do that to your kids.

Montessori kids always turn out to be such underachievers.

Meh.

Anyway, this link should be helpful:
http://www.virtualvienna.net/main/modul ... ink&cid=66

KathG

Post by KathG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks a lot for the link!

In Ireland everyone goes to Montessori and then school starts at 4, I don't necessarly need him to go to Montessori, but would find it a shame if he learned so much till now and then goes back to "playing only"...
International girl/woman trapped in Viennese body, who lived abroad for 8 years but recently moved back to Vienna and is looking for international friends...

postfuchs
Expert
Expert

Post by postfuchs » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:06 am

Didn't do me any harm!

... I think :)

Nila

Post by Nila » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 pm

I just read an ad on the playground for a new English Kindergruppe in the 9th yesterday. Will check today, when I am back playing on the playground :) and will write the details here.

richardrj
VIP
VIP

Post by richardrj » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Tom wrote: Even if you are a rich hippy, don't do that to your kids.

Montessori kids always turn out to be such underachievers.
I am neither rich nor a hippy and our son went to this English-speaking Montessori kindergarten in the 22nd district near the UN:

http://www.montessori-vienna.at/

OK it's not in the inner districts but it's easy to reach by U-Bahn. He had a wonderful three years there and I can't recommend the place highly enough. PM me if you would like more information.
Last edited by richardrj on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pirate_Kate
GrandMaster
GrandMaster

Post by Pirate_Kate » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi Kat! This link might be useful for you: Vienna Babies Club. I have registered my son (14 months) at this kindergarten- Monpti. It is not bilingual, but he gets so much English at home that I decided to go for it. There is also a Montissori kindergarted in the 6th district that I looked at - Montissori Kinderhaus. Good luck!
...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain

Miss_Muppet
Master
Master

Post by Miss_Muppet » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Move to Australia!

KathG

Post by KathG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks guys! Dates have been finalized. Moving to Vienna in May! So I am looking for friends then!!
Creche seems harder than I thought - most booked out. Have been writing to a couple and will see. Also wrote to Montessori in 22, but think they only take kids from 2. My daughter only turns 2 next Jan...But still trying.
@ Pirate Kate: I looked at the Vienna Babies Club, but they say you're not allowed to participate if you're Austrian!
@ Miss Muppet, if we had the visa we would!
International girl/woman trapped in Viennese body, who lived abroad for 8 years but recently moved back to Vienna and is looking for international friends...

Pirate_Kate
GrandMaster
GrandMaster

Post by Pirate_Kate » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 am

That is the general rule, but the VBC is normally pretty flexible. In my baby group there are two Austrians--one who lived for several years in the UK and another who is half French and only recently moved back to Austria. As a rule the VBC tries to keep the group mostly for expats as we don't have the same support structure of family etc here and there are already so many groups available for Austrians. IMO though you would fit right in. I would suggest writing to the VBC or coming to the monthly meeting and letting them know about your situation and that you have not lived here since 2002.
...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain

jerry1234 Canada

Post by jerry1234 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am

Hello,

I think that starting at an early age, Montessori college students broaden order, coordination, awareness, and independence so I want to know about Montessori learning.

shawn454 Afghanistan

Post by shawn454 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 am

Hello

My son goes to a Montessori playschool in Dublin and I am looking into finding a kindergarten for him and my daughter who will be 1 in Jan. Can you recommend any nurseries or daycare institutes where they also speak English.....:)

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Post by morgenhund » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm

shawn454 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 am
Hello

My son goes to a Montessori playschool in Dublin and I am looking into finding a kindergarten for him and my daughter who will be 1 in Jan. Can you recommend any nurseries or daycare institutes where they also speak English.....:)
You will probably need to go to a private kindergarten/daycare place to get a place at 1 for your daughter (a lot of the public places will only take from 18 months).

We are very happy with our son's bilingual kindergarten (Schmetterling - www.schmetterling.at) who have three locations, but it is not Montessori. The Children's House in the 22nd is another that springs to mind (and is Montessori) but a lot are quite highly sought after and have waiting lists.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?