Getting to the birth clinic when not owning a car

Forum about family life in Vienna - bringing up toddlers, children, teens, associated bureaucracy...
MonicaM

Getting to the birth clinic when not owning a car

Post by MonicaM »

I am expecting my first baby soon and me and my husband don't own a car. I am registered to Privatklinik Döbling and a midwife told me I should call 144 (Rettung) when the real labor starts. But reading through different forums, some say the ambulance will likely take you to the nearest hospital and not the clinic you're registered to (it's a 10 minute drive from our place to the clinic). If I can move fairly easy in labor I would prefer to take a taxi/uber or Krankentransport. Does anyone here have any experience with Krankentransport? I heard about this in some forums, it is a less dramatic option to an ambulance, they have a wheelchair in case it's hard for you to walk.

Also, do you think they speak English if I call 144 in case of an emergency? In such moments I think it would be hard to elaborate sentences in German :)

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Re: Getting to the birth clinic when not owning a car

Post by morgenhund »

When my wife went into Privatklinik Döbling to be induced, we went by taxi, as it was also only about 10 minutes from home, as the hospital had suggested it would be OK to do so. I am sure I also had a Krankentransport number that was given to us that at a pre-natal course for use if contractions started and labour.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
MonicaM

Re: Getting to the birth clinic when not owning a car

Post by MonicaM »

Thanks! I will ask my doctor for such a number at my next appointment.