Pregnant & Not insured

Forum about family life in Vienna - bringing up toddlers, children, teens, associated bureaucracy...
suitcase25

Pregnant & Not insured

Post by suitcase25 »

Hi . bit of a situation here -

My partner is 7 months pregnant. She is not working at the moment, and has not been since we are together in Austria. We are not married. Is there a possibility we can be covered by the national health insurance, if we pay out of pocket, or is it too late now she is 7 months pregnant ? (ive read it takes up to six months to activate the insurance).

I've also read that pregnant women are automatically covered , but I have not found any further information on this if true:

"If you are pregnant and do not have insurance you get it free in Austria - it's one of the special cases where they have universal cover. But it is only until birth and you cannot order a c-section unless there is a compelling medical need."

source: https://www.vienna-expats.at/forums/vie ... 53#p152424

It seems the bottom line is we will have to pay out of pocket for the birth (around 4000e) which is obviously not ideal way to start a family financially. We also understand she is not entitled to any state benefit as she is registered as a "living partner" with me, and I earn enough to support both of us?

Any info much appreciated.