Commuting to Bratislava

Forum about family life in Vienna - bringing up toddlers, children, teens, associated bureaucracy...
SkiFam5 United States of America

Commuting to Bratislava

Post by SkiFam5 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Hello! We are a family with three young children and are considering a move to Vienna. For education and health care reasons we want to live in Vienna but my husband would be working most days in Bratislava but be based out of his company's Vienna office. In New York it is very common for parents to commute an hour one way but do people do this in Vienna? The school and expat area we would be looking to live in would be District 21/22. Any advice from anyone that does this commute or knows anyone that does would be so appreciated. Thank you!

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Re: Commuting to Bratislava

Post by morgenhund » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Evening - people do do it for various reasons. If you are considering 22nd district to live in, it might be worth ensuring that you are not too far out as the motorway to Bratislava is more accessible from the other side of the Danube. 3rd or 11th districts might be a consideration (although 11th not necessarily the nicest) if you want to take time off the commute. Realistically driving to Bratislava will be the way forward, seeing as the main station is not that well located for a lot of the businesses. While the border is open there is no problem, but in the event that border controls are reintroduced (is sometimes done on some of the borders to Slovenia) then it can be a snarl up.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Trusted TEFL Reviews Austria

Post by Trusted TEFL Reviews » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 am

I agree with the previous post by morgenhund, but have to disagree about the border warning. Slovakia is a part of the EU and also the Schengen area, and I would be extremely surprised if border controls were reintroduced.

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Post by morgenhund » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 am

There is always the possibility to reinstate border checks - it has recently been done on the Slovene border. The Czech and Slovak borders are less likely to be reinstated, but I have been caught when there was a temporary reinstatement, and had a one hour wait at Berg.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?