Total votes: 12

Luvbeers England
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Working while sick

Post by Luvbeers » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 pm

One in two Austrians work while sick, study reveals
By Thomas Hochwarter

Almost every second Austrian goes to work when they are sick, a new survey has shown.

The Institute for Empiric Social Research IFES said today (Tues) 42 per cent of respondents in a survey said they would work despite the fact they were ill.

The study – conducted for the Upper Austrian Labour Chamber (AKOÖ) – found that 43 per cent of Austrian women regularly work when they are sick while 40 per cent of men do the same.

An alarming fact revealed in the poll – which comes as Austria is on the verge of a swine flu pandemic – is that this figure is highest for healthcare jobs with 59 per cent, followed by traffic and transportation employees where more than one in two said they would regularly work even though they felt ill (51 per cent).

Around six in ten (58 per cent) of the 7,800 people interviewed explained they worked while ill because they felt "responsibility towards colleagues". Thirty-seven per cent said they feared work would pile up for them if they took time off sick, while 31 per cent claimed they had no one to cover. Only 14 per cent told researchers they only went to work over fears of reprisals from their employer for taking sick leave.

AKOÖ president Johann Kalliauer warned that bosses who did not care about their employees’ mental and physical condition could harm their own health.

Kalliauer said conflicts with company leaders and mobbing posed health threats and that staff working while sick were not doing their bosses a favour since company performance would suffer.

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/Genera ... dy_reveals

t_in_vienna
Former Mod/Admin
Former Mod/Admin

Working while sick

Post by t_in_vienna » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:00 pm

I'm actually surprised.. I thought it would be much much lower..
I'm just like every modern woman trying to have it all. A loving husband, a family. I only wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade. That's all.

Chaos Netherlands
GrandMaster
GrandMaster

Working while sick

Post by Chaos » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Depends what you have.

If you have a stomach ache, you might still be able to work.
If you have diarrhea, things get more complicated.

If you have a mild cold, you could still work
If you have swine flu, stay home, alone

If you have a rash on your belly, you can sit at your desk
If you have a rash on your butt, you might not be able to

If you have a hangover, you should go to work and suffer the consequences
If you have a migraine, you should stay in bed with no sound in a darkened room

And so on.

Luvbeers England
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Working while sick

Post by Luvbeers » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:11 pm

I have only called in sick a couple times in the last years with diarrhea and/or hangovers but I am honest about it. I call in unable to work, not sick.

Sunshine Netherlands
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Working while sick

Post by Sunshine » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:23 pm

At my office, when you are sick with something that is easily passed on to others they prefer you to stay at home so you won't infect others with your viruses, and end up with the whole department sick at home

And, I dont know how many people in Austria have this possibility, but when I don't feel well I could work from home instead of calling in sick.
Last edited by Sunshine on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windscreen"

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Working while sick

Post by morgenhund » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:34 pm

The thing that was interesting about the survey is that the results are vastly disparate for Angestellte and Arbeiter from what I heard on the radio.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?