FPÖ may win elections

Whats going on in the world around us
WienA
Professional
Professional

FPÖ may win elections

Post by WienA » Thu May 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Häupl wants government to be more bullish towards 'amateur' Strache

Vienna’s Social Democratic (SPÖ) Mayor Michael Häupl has called on the federal government to show more courage in defying the aggressive campaigning of Freedom Party (FPÖ) chairman Heinz-Christian Strache.

Häupl told the Kurier newspaper today (Weds): "The government has to do better and more about communicating its achievements such as the battling of the financial crisis, but it also has to carry out needed reforms. Furthermore, it must speak out more clearly against Strache’s ideas."

The influential Social Democrat – who has been mayor of the capital since 1994 – argued: "We need to unite if Strache says he wants Austria to leave the Eurozone. This amateur does nothing but harm to Austrians by saying such things."

Häupl’s statements come on the back of polls revealing that the FPÖ may come first given that Austrians were asked to elect a new federal parliament. The next general ballot is scheduled for 2013, but some analysts do not rule out it could be held earlier due to a possible collapse of the coalition of SPÖ and People’s Party (ÖVP).

Full article here -

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/Genera ... 27_Strache

CapnNismo
Luminary
Luminary

Re: FPÖ may win elections

Post by CapnNismo » Thu May 26, 2011 2:12 pm

He's right.

WienA
Professional
Professional

Post by WienA » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Agree but it looks hard --

At the same time, Strache showed some effort to disassociate himself from the party’s far-right branch amid fears more modest young voters and working class members would not support the FPÖ because of overly aggressive policies. The party leader has been focusing on visiting discos and music events across Austria to convince young people of his ideas – a tactic which was successfully applied for the first time by an Austrian politician, Strache’s role model, late FPÖ boss Jörg Haider.

Public opinion surveys have shown that a majority of under-30s want Strache to become Austrian chancellor. However, polls held after the most recent provincial and federal ballots revealed that the FPÖ found solid support among young and old and all classes of the country’s population.

WienA
Professional
Professional

Post by WienA » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm

& Under a diff Gov I wonder if Austria would be difficult for foreigners..

beanbag
Expert
Expert

Post by beanbag » Thu May 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Lucky I'm off!

ETA....but I will miss Austria massively.... :(

CapnNismo
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CapnNismo » Thu May 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Strache can't reach the top. It's impossible for him to reach the top outside of fear mongering. Mayor of Vienna? Maybe. Chancellor? Hell no.

Personally, though, I'd almost be interested in seeing how he would run things if he was chancellor - more morbid curiosity than anything else.

beanbag
Expert
Expert

Post by beanbag » Thu May 26, 2011 10:17 pm

CapnNismo wrote:Personally, though, I'd almost be interested in seeing how he would run things if he was chancellor - more morbid curiosity than anything else.
A little like this perhaps?

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Fri May 27, 2011 7:25 am

Of all the evil consequences of the Anschluss (annexation of Austria into Schnell Schnell Kartoffelsalat! Germany in 1938) the most erroneous must have been the directive that Austria drive on the right. Until then Austria, except Tirol, had driven on the left like all peace-loving peoples.

Czechoslovakia and Hungary, the last two states on the mainland of Europe to keep left, changed to the right after being invaded by Germany in 1939.

CapnNismo
Luminary
Luminary

Post by CapnNismo » Sat May 28, 2011 8:39 am

beanbag wrote:
CapnNismo wrote:Personally, though, I'd almost be interested in seeing how he would run things if he was chancellor - more morbid curiosity than anything else.
A little like this perhaps?

I think that is taking it a bit too far.

Tatt wrote:Of all the evil consequences of the Anschluss (annexation of Austria into Schnell Schnell Kartoffelsalat! Germany in 1938) the most erroneous must have been the directive that Austria drive on the right. Until then Austria, except Tirol, had driven on the left like all peace-loving peoples.

Czechoslovakia and Hungary, the last two states on the mainland of Europe to keep left, changed to the right after being invaded by Germany in 1939.
Really? Wow, cool - wasn't aware of this. :)

beanbag
Expert
Expert

Post by beanbag » Sat May 28, 2011 12:10 pm

The FPÖ are a bunch of extreme right wing Neo-Schnell Schnell Kartoffelsalat!'s under the facade of a political party.

Perhaps it's a little exaggerated but they condone Neo Schnell Schnell Kartoffelsalat! rallys and many of their main supporters and members of the party are very open about their Schnell Schnell Kartoffelsalat! beliefs.

In a nutshell, the man and his party are a disgrace and a stain on Austria.

WienA
Professional
Professional

Post by WienA » Sat May 28, 2011 4:47 pm

If their popularity is 'genuine' then that is ..

WienA
Professional
Professional

Post by WienA » Sat May 28, 2011 4:48 pm

beanbag wrote:Lucky I'm off!

ETA....but I will miss Austria massively.... :(
:( Sad you are leaving beanbag but I wish you the best in your new place and endeavours !

Warmly,
WienA

Was This Topic Useful?