Questions for parents: Giving birth and Health Insurance

Q&A about daily life in Vienna
Babs

Questions for parents: Giving birth and Health Insurance

Post by Babs »

Hello,
As this is a forum primarily visited by parents, perhaps some of you might be able to share your experiences with me. I have been reading up on the Austrian Health Care system, pregnancy, and health insurance. Without private health insurance, is giving birth a nightmare in the public system? I have heard of crowded rooms and rushed care... Would you absolutely recommend private health insurance for giving birth or at least pay out of pocket? What was your experience like? Thanks!

Luvbeers ENGLAND
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Re: Questions for parents: Giving birth and Health Insurance

Post by Luvbeers »

I wouldn't say it is a nightmare, but obviously having a private room and the best possible doctor when you are dealing with your life and your child's is nice if you can afford it. My wife had a c-section so was in the private hospital (http://www.goldenes-kreuz.at/) for 5-6 days. They put in another bed in the single room so I could spend the first week of my daughter's life together as a family and help the mother during the night so she could get some rest to recuperate from her surgery. In a public room you may be with 3 other mothers whose babies are on random sleep/feeding/crying schedules. With only visiting hours, you will be on your own most of the night (although the nurses make their rounds) with one baby waking the next up. So plan on finally falling asleep in the morning just as your neighbor's 20 relatives come for a visit and again wake you up. But if you've had a normal birth and everyone is healthy you can be out in 3-4 days and you'll save €4000. I would recommend it if you are not pregnant yet and you can afford €100 a month for the next 3 years. We have http://www.uniqa.at and our private doctor: http://www.dr-artner.at
Words of Advice For Young People: "Never do business with a religious son-of-a-bitch. His word ain't worth a shit -- not with the Good Lord telling him how to fuck you on the deal." - William S. Burroughs
Papa-simes
VIP
VIP

Post by Papa-simes »

Both my kids were born in the AKH. It was great. Although once moved to the maternity ward, the nurses were a bit indifferent. That said, and something I've posted before I think, when you are surrounded by babies day and night, the novelty probably wears off after a bit. Bit like being a parent (tongue in cheek). Incidentally, when our second son was born there was nobody else in the delivery suite at the AKH... Although it was 2.30 in the morning.
Luvbeers ENGLAND
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Post by Luvbeers »

I believe you can only give birth now at the AKH if you have pregnancy complications (pre-existing health issue, breach, twins, etc.)
Words of Advice For Young People: "Never do business with a religious son-of-a-bitch. His word ain't worth a shit -- not with the Good Lord telling him how to fuck you on the deal." - William S. Burroughs
Papa-simes
VIP
VIP

Post by Papa-simes »

You know, have heard this one many times about only "complicated" births at AKH, but in our case both births were normal. I think it just depends on your Doctor. If they can get you in, they get you in.
Luvbeers ENGLAND
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Post by Luvbeers »

When did you give birth? I think they only changed it two or three years ago,
Papa-simes
VIP
VIP

Post by Papa-simes »

2006, 2009. So maybe you are right.
angelicious

Post by angelicious »

Hello, I would like to know the cost of delivering my first child in vienna via c-section ? A rough estimate would be appreciated. We are moving to vienna in august and I am now pregnant. Thank you so much! 
Luvbeers ENGLAND
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Post by Luvbeers »

At a private hospital like Goldenes Kreuz it cost us for 5 days inducing to no success, a c-section, then 5 days recovery €8,888. I know the hospital stay is roughly €350/night so if it is a planned c-section in a private hospital I would guess about €6500 with 5 nights of recovery. At a public hospital probably less but not a whole lot without insurance, maybe €4-5K??? If you have WGKK then it is free. But I think they might even have a provision for those without insurance. Just ask a hospital http://www.giving-birth-in-vienna.com/resources.html
Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt »

If you are pregnant and do not have insurance you get it free in Austria - it's one of the special cases where they have universal cover. But it is only until birth and you cannot order a c-section unless there is a compelling medical need.