Would this be legal in Austria ?

Anyone here who did not start studying in Vienna at the university from scratch but started in another country and continued here?

Questions about studying (at Uni) or learning (at schools) in Vienna.
Haemoglobbin Austria

Would this be legal in Austria ?

Post by Haemoglobbin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello everyone.
I strongly doubt anyone here would be able to give a piece of advice, but I´ll give it a try.
Anyone here who did not start studying in Vienna at the university from scratch but started in another country and continued here ?
I have 1,5 years of medical studies left to finish somewhere in Austria (does not need to be necessarily Vienna..)
Last edited by Haemoglobbin on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haemoglobbin Austria

Re: Medical student in Vienna

Post by Haemoglobbin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 pm

Pity ! :)

Let me kindly ask another question then.
From this January I would like to rent a flat in Vienna. Is there a problem with renting one when I am currently unemployed ? I worked hard until now so that I don´t have to work full-time for several months, however somewhere I have read it might be a problem in Austria :( (I used to be my own boss, therefore I cannot give any form such as "the proof of the money earned" I am afraid.
I am scared it may be a problem for both authorities and also when looking for a place to rent (sigh)..

Is it illegal to rent a flat in Austria for half a year and not be working there at the same time ?
In those 6 months I would be for sure looking for a part-time job (probably starting to lookf for one in March - once I am settled and my language skills have gotten better.)
From September 2020 I may become a student at the university then.

Currently I am a EU citizen.

Is it difficult to find a job in Vienna when I do not have a degree (only 4,5 yrs of medicine behind me) and my German level is lower B2 ?

(I hope you won´t mind if I ask this in a separated topic as it is really important for me now to get the reliable answers.)

Thank you SO much !

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Re: Would this be legal in Austria ?

Post by morgenhund » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:48 pm

There is nothing to stop you from renting a flat, but the issue will likely be that without a job or a course of studies that you will not get your Anmeldebescheinigung (you're Czech right, so as an EU you can exercise the right of freedom of movement, but the Anmeldebescheinigung usually requires you to be either a full-time student or in employment to get it).
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Re: Would this be legal in Austria ?

Post by morgenhund » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 am

Haemoglobbin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 pm
Hello everyone.
I strongly doubt anyone here would be able to give a piece of advice, but I´ll give it a try.
Anyone here who did not start studying in Vienna at the university from scratch but started in another country and continued here ?
I have 1,5 years of medical studies left to finish somewhere in Austria (does not need to be necessarily Vienna..)
My gut reaction would be that it would depend heavily on the perceived equivalence of your studies to date and the individual courses that make up the studies that you have attended. Then there might be the issue of the language of instruction. I think the university will be the only instance able to make a precise call, in particular based on the exact circumstances e.g. Which university, in which country, under which admission criteria.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?