How to get a state pension forecast

Information about working in Vienna - applications, legal information, etc.
psychonaut

How to get a state pension forecast

Post by psychonaut »

Hi all,

I've worked in a number of countries, which somewhat complicates my retirement plans, since I've paid into state pensions in all of them. Fortunately, these countries all have treaties with each other that recognize each other's state pension contributions in one way or another. The tricky part is calculating exactly how much I'd get from retiring in a certain country, taking the recognized foreign contributions into account. Since this is up to the state pension service, the calculation needs to be done by them.

I was able to get such a state pension forecast when I was working in Germany—the situation was straightforward but rather time-consuming. I just needed to book an appointment with the local office of the state pension service and hand over a list of all the places I'd worked and studied plus my relevant pension/social security IDs from the countries I'd worked in. They wrote to me a couple more times asking for some extra documentation, but 13 months later I got a nice thick document from them showing how much money I'd get per month if I retired in Germany, both for the case that I made no further contributions, and for the case that I continued to contribute as I have been up until retirement age.

Does anyone know how I can get such a state pension forecast for Austria? I imagine this is done via the Pensionsversicherungsanstalt at https://www.sozialversicherung.at/ but I don't see where on that site you can apply for such a forecast or make an appointment for one. Maybe I am overlooking something, or am scanning for the wrong keywords?

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Answers: 1

Re: How to get a state pension forecast

Post by morgenhund »

Not yet there by a long way, but if you have worked in multiple countries I believe there is a specific process for aggregation of pension entitlements across multiple countries.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
psychonaut

Post by psychonaut »

I'm sure there is; the question is, how can I get Austria's pension service to do a dry run for me?
morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund »

psychonaut wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:35 pm
I'm sure there is; the question is, how can I get Austria's pension service to do a dry run for me?
I would imagine you need to have a list of your periods of employment and contributions from every different country and then they might be able to "do the maths".
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.
psychonaut

Post by psychonaut »

Right, I already mentioned this in my OP as I already went through this process in Germany. The problem is that I don't know for sure who the relevant pension service is in Austria and how to contact them about this. The Pensionsversicherungsanstalt doesn't have any information on their website about pension forecasts. Am I just supposed to fire my local office off an e-mail with my query?
morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund »

Try here: https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/themen/ar ... 70218.html and once things are back to normal, attend one of their internationale Sprechtage